Tuesday, September 12, 2006

High on Floyd

was listening to floyd sometime ago. realized their lyrics r SO much better than all the usual philosophical crap u hear everywhere. i mean, they make way more sense that all the philosophical crap that' thrown around. they are so completely uncomplicated yet so open to individual interpretation that its amazing. everybody has his own explaination of a floyd song.

was listening to a song called 'time' (relatively unknown song from their album - dark side of the moon) and man, the lyrics are f***ing brilliant.

so u run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
rcing around to come up behind u again.
the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

this is a bit of it, the bit which i like the best. i love what the guy(roger waters has written this one i think) is saying here. he makes his point so completely yet so subtly. but maybe i like it because these 4 lines r the story of my life. that is what is happening to me. every day i wake up, and do nothing worthwhile. every day i tell myself i should do something so that don't regret wasting away my life later on, but i'm just too f***ing lazy to do anything about it. every day its the same thing. i get up, go to college, come back and go to sleep. i'm fucking wasting away my life.

enough of the digression. coming back to floyd, one of my favourite pink floyd songs
is 'brain damage'. i don't know why i like it so much. again, i think its the lyrics which make me like the song so much.

the bit where it goes like,

You lock the door
u throw away the key
there's someone in my head but its not me

i mean, wow! bloody brilliant man. i love the concept of this song. how its about getting completely fucked because everything around u is fucked up too.

and then there is one of their most famous songs 'wish u were here'. its actually written about one band member who had to quit coz of his excessive drug addiction (in fact the whole album is pretty much about him). but personally (and i'm being slightly pompous here in assuming that my personal opinion counts but...hey, its my blog) i really like the underlying sarcasm in the song. of course, that's what i feel. it is quite probable that roger waters isn't being sarcastic at all. but i like to believe that he is.

And did they get you to trade
Your heros for ghosts? Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

if ur still reading this (quite possibly u got bored midway) then u might have got the impression that pink floyd is all about the lyrics. but that is absolutely not true. it is only one facet of their songs. but one which makes their songs so heady(they actually give me a high...lol).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

umm. i was not such a floyd fan.. BEFORE i read this.. i totally go for lyrics.. and poetry.. sure..
thanks.. ur blog helps me think about my own life.. i think we all r going thru a phase which is not similar but has somewhat same effects on us.. if ur f**ked up.. it doesn't mean thats bad.. maybe we'll learn something thru these situations.. donno... u really get me thinking..

Arnab Majumdar said...

I didn't know you were such a big floyd fan too.. I am nuts about them!! I know it's a really old post, but still I just had to post on this coz it caught my eye... floyd is a class in itself, n that is the ultimate brilliance of them