Saturday, May 19, 2007

Khasmanu Khanya

Okay, the reason i haven't blogged in a while is because...i was on my first unchaperoned trip!!!! And it was So. Much. Fun. Seven of us went to Amritsar for a couple of days and we had the whackiest time ever!

Incidentally, i might not have even gone for the trip. i suddenly developed fever the day before we were supposed to leave. And mum categorically told me that there was no way i would travel with fever. I whined, yelled, even shed a few tears, but to no avail. Our train was at 7:20 AM in the morning. Next morning mum woke me up at around five-ish to check my temperature, and what do you know, i didn't have fever!!! I whooped with joy and mum did my packing in thirty minutes flat (how in heaven's name do they do stuff like that???) and off we were, to New Delhi Railway Station. I frantically messaged everyone to let them know that i would, in fact, be able to make it (thank god Girija didn't get my tickets cancelled), all the while grinning widely.

There is no way i can even begin to explain the amount of fun we had (and thankfully i was perfectly fine during the trip...wonder why i had fever for a day). It was WILD.

There are some extremely *ahem* interesting photos, as well as ve-ery interesting videos (videos courtesy anisha, the idiot. and since she was videotaping us, there are no embarrassing videos of her. dammit) of us, which we cannot possibly show to anyone.

I've been nicknamed TGIF, thanks to my capabilities for entertaining people. Thing is, my Hindi isn't too good. So i usually avoid talking in Hindi (for the record, this is because I'm Bengali). And these guys happen to know this. So what they did was, (amongst various other things. mean things!), they forbid me from talking in English the whole of that night. AND made me translate different, and very interesting sentences into Hindi. AND made me swear in Hindi. AND made audio and video clips of that. Wonderful friends i have, i tell you. Incidentally, I'm hoping everyone got the significance of TGIF (watch Bheja Fry if you didn't).

And oh, the food...... Amritsar has absolutely fantastic food! We ate like food was going out of fashion. Man.....

And yeah, an extremely funny thing happened to us. Our car was chased by a bunch of guys in their car real late at night! Half of us freaked out and the other half couldn't stop laughing. :-p

Of course, we did the usual touristy things as well. We visited the golden temple both the days. It's beautiful, especially at night. And we saw the Wagah border, and Jallianwallah Bagh, and the museum of Ranjit Singh. It was really nice.

If seven girls can have so much fun in two days in Amritsar, I can't even begin to imagine the kind of fun we're gonna have in Goa, for a week, with the whole college. Whoopieeeeeeee!!!!!

P.S. - the title has no connection whatsoever with the post, except for the fact that it's the only punjabi phrase (along with a couple of not-so-nice words. :-p) that i've learnt in Amritsar. It means go to hell. :-D Have a nice day everyone.

17 comments:

RB said...

ROFL@ the title of your post. You know, Punjabi has a lot of 'fun' words/phrases to laugh over.

Seven girls!! Wow! I can imagine the amount of fun you must have had!
I wanna see Amritsar too. :(

TGIF, huh? Niiice! :D
One of my friends is amazingly talented when it comes to Hindi too. And gawwd...what fun it is to force *such* people to talk in Hindi! Can you please share some videos of that? :P

bored blogger said...

hey how about putting up the link of some of those wonderful videos (n sound clips)here??? ;)

Aditya Deorha said...

amritsar!! man its such a beautiful place really!! i mean the golden temple, the historical jallianwala bagh and well the city as such.. the culture is so rich and everything.. just one slight problem..


..


have never visited it myself :p

Anonymous said...

Arre I have no idea what TGIF means other than- Thank God its is friday. Temme please.
Looks like you had fun. How about a post in Hindi, maybe we can have some fun too ;)

That Girl said...

Just couldn't stop laughing when I read the last two lines. Was wondering all along what the title meant (it sounded funny, yes, but I don't get any Punjabi) and... well, let's just say I've learnt it by heart now for future usage.

Great, that sounds like an extreeeemely fun trip. I still start smiling & reminiscing when I think of my 3 trips in college. Best time ever!! Oh and you've chosen the right time for Goa, 2nd year it should be. I went in my 3rd and didn't know many juniors so we spent most time within our group only. Was still good, though... of course! :)

And Amritsar is lovely. I wanna go there again sometime. The Golden Temple is beautiful, and Wagah's awesome. Although the time I went, I missed the ceremony by like 5 mins. Still can't get over that disappointment! Have to watch it sometime.

And I haven't seen Bheja Fry so TGIF is still Thank God It's Friday for me. I really must watch this movie - too many references to it in too many blogs.

Videos, please?! :)

MeMyself_n_I said...

@ richa - punjabi's a terrrific language. :-p
and yes, amritsar's a lovely place. totally worth visiting. and about the videos, there's no way i can put em up! they're TOO embarrassing!

@ bored blogger - no way anisha!!!!

@ ady - haha. well you really should.

@ aditya - it's gonna take too long to expalin. ask somebody around you who's seen it. and no post in hindi! i don't like to humiliate myself. :-p

@ amiya - haha. well now you know Sometihng in punjabi.
and yeah, the trips must've been a hell lot of fun. i'm totally psyched up about goa.
and the ceremony at wagah is a must-watch. do try to visit amritsar again.
you really really should watch bheja fry. how come you haven't seen it yet???
and c'mon, there's no way i can put up the videos. they're awfully embarrassing. :-p

Varenya said...

And some of us are still giving exams!!!

How do we know said...

Umm... Khasma no khanya does not exactly mean Go To hell.. its more like "The Useless One" when told to a boy(usu., a young boy) and Khasmaan nu khaniye, when used on a girl. Literally.. well forget about what it means literally.. its popular usage is as above.. .looks like ur friends pulled off one more con on u :-)
never mind, teach them some cute Bengali phrases next time..

SENSATIONS said...

hey! thats so cool. u seem to have had a gr8 time! saw ur pix too on orkut! must be loads of fun!

Anunay said...

Looks like you guys had some major fun!! But temme if I read right..... First unchaperoned trip??!!!! How the hell did you manage to wait so long for one??!!! They're just too much fun!!

`NEFTY said...

Good you had fun:]

Anonymous said...

hey!!!!!!!

vids nao!!!!!

its gr8 u girls r keepin in touch even now...

arunima said...

well man m sooo "j"!!
m stuck at home with all sorts of internship n workshop crap( uff!!)
well yeaa bongs( m one as well) hav a hard time vit hindi, so even i prefer conversin in english rather than hindi!! and amritsar well its a lovely place!soo loads os masti n mazaa .... good good!!
n ur goin to goa.. m so "j" all over again!! :p

diyadear said...

hey teen,
i can really feel the excitement thru ur post.. im sure u had a terrific time!!! do post in some pics:) n have an even better time at goa.. the beaches r simply superb!!

lemon said...

wow..!!! m still waiting to go on my first unchaperoned trip..!! :(

MeMyself_n_I said...

@ varenya - awwwwwwwwwwwwww. :-p

@ how do we know - oh darn!!!!

@ sensations - yeah we had a terrific time. :-)

@ anunay - somehow an unchaperoned trip never materialised in school.

@ nefty - thank you.

@ count sahaj - no way! the videos are not meant for public viewing. :-p

@ arunima - well the goa trip is a long time away, sometime in november, but yay!!! :-D

@ diya - unfortunately there aren't too many non-obscene photos. hehehehe

@ lemonade - ooooo what are u waitingfor???

bornfortheu.s.a said...

hey i'm bengali too!! nice!!