Sunday, June 24, 2007

Of Procrastination, Blasphemy, Dares and Shopping

I've been feeling real lazy lately, so much so that blogging actually seems like a chore (okay sacrilege, blasphemy n all that but i don't really care). Anyway, i've been feeling a little guilty about that, so i'm gonna write a reeeaaaaal long entry today (or i'll try real hard at least). And since i don't really have anything to write about in particular, it's gonna be long-winded, boring, disjoint ramblings. So you've been warned.

My uncle's wedding is coming up in july. So people at home have been shopping like there's no tomorrow. I never thought i'd say this, but i'm a little sick of shopping now. I flatly refused to accompany mum today for what must be the millionth shopping trip in the last couple of weeks.

I really enjoyed the first 3-4 days of shopping, mainly because all my stuff was bought then. :-p
I bought 3 saris, beeaaaauuuutiful all of them. And yes i'll spare you, i'm not gonna describe them in minute detail, though i'm extremely tempted to do so. Tell you what, i'll describe them in a footnote, so you have the option of not having to read it. I also bought a lovely pair of very delicate sandals, and gave a salwar kurta for stitching. So basically i have lots of very pretty new clothes AND a new pair of shoes. :-D

What actually made me nearly lose my mind was the marathon jewellery shopping that happened yesterday. We left home at 12 noon and came back at 8 in the night! 8 frikkin hours! Dad was sick by the end of it, i started cribbing at about 3 o' clock (which resulted in mum asking dad to buy me something. Now i'm the proud owner of a very pretty pair of star shaped gold earrings. They're tiny and extremely classy), and mum had a lovely time all through.

Another thing which i thought i'd never say (what do you know, it's been a week of revelations), but i'm quite sick of going out everyday. I haven't been home a single day (well except for today) ever since i got back from Ooty. If it's not shopping, it's meeting up with friends, watching movies, eating out and well just hanging out in general. And now i'm heartily sick of the whole thing. I'm gonna stick around at home for a few days. Sleep, read, listen to music. Cut down my talking-on-the-phone too. I have to admit, i've been yakking on the phone waaaaaaaaaay too much lately. One of the very few times i agree with mum.

Oh incidentally, The Kiterunner in a brillaint book, and right up there with my other favorites. I'm gonna buy Khaled Hussaini's new book now. The man writes wonderfully.

These days i have nothing new to read, except some old Archies that i dug up, so i'm rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. And rediscovering Douglas Adams' sheer comic genius. Though i still like P.G. Wodehouse better anyday, but Adams comes a close second.

While we're on the topic of books, i wanted to ask, how's Kafka? I've never read anything by him, but i've heard he's supposed to be pretty good.

Anyway, right now (and for the next 48 hours) my profile name on orkut is "Why do girls suck?". Wondering why? Well it's a dare. Wondering why that particular name? That's too long a story, and i'll tell you guys about it in some other post.

Wondering why i'm so stupid to have actually accepted an inane dare like that? Well the person who dared me agreed to keep a name which i'd come up with if only i kept this one as mine. And it was a little bit of a win-win situation for me, coz he'd already kept two (quite unflattering)names which i'd come up with without making me do anything. Presently he's known as "Deep down, sex scares the shit out of me!". :-p

I can go on longer, but i feel like reading H2G2, so i'm gonna stop (heaving a sigh of relief aren't you?) and I'm gonna let you continue doing whatever you were doing prior to coming to my blog.

Until next time, goodbye, and remember, the solution to all your problems is 42.

Footnote : You really thought i'd forget about the footnote? Hah, wishful thinking. Alright, so the sari i'm going to wear on the wedding is a kora silk. It's deep pink in colour, and it's sort of got two pink shades. The border and the 'aanchal' have delicate gold work on them.
The reception sari is a black kanjeevaram. It's a very light kanjeevaram, almost sheer. And it's got maroon and gold work on the border and the "aanchal', and very light maroon designing on the whole body, few and far apart. Let's just say it's one of the most beautiful saris i've ever seen. It's absolutely gorgeous.
Okay, coming to the third one, it's meant for a function which bengalis have in the afternoon, a couple of days after the wedding, called 'boubhaat'. It's a purple cotton sari, very simple, and very pretty. :-)

All in all, i'm very happy with all the saris. :-D

(I'm not gonna describe the salwar kurta (not yet at least), coz i don't feel like right now.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering I dared to read that footnote, I must confess that the only thing I understood in the whole thing was the word "sari", and the rest were cognitively a few miles over my head.

Ironically enough, these days the thing I am doing the most, is blogging! :) And loving every moment of it.

Best of luck for the shopping (I was in deed shocked for a girl to say what you revealed, about being sick of shopping :P) (I have had this image of girls setting up tents in malls is they were given such an opportunity, and at that my girlfriend might be quite satisfied too!)
And congratulations for your uncle's wedding!

RB said...

Oh wow...I wanna buy pretty clothes too!! :(
And sarees for my bro's wedding. But he's not getting married any time soon! :( :(

But what's amazing is that your vacations are almost over and you still have things to do & people to meet. I generally get verrry bored if I get such a long break. So, good going! :)
Keep having fun.

KAYLEE said...

Haha I would get sick of shopping that much too.Great post I liked it even if I was just ramblings:-)

~ ॐ ~ said...

Sahi hai... earrings are nice !!!

Unknown said...

I have been jewellery and saree shopping for hours with my mom. All that stopped somewhere after my sixth birthday and I could fuss and shout and complain.

I would highly recommend that you read Henry's short stories. They are really amazing. Kinda like Saki.

diyadear said...

wow so all set for the wedding uh?? cool gal.. im sure u'll look very pretty in all the lovely saris.. n lol at getting pissed of shopping!!!

Anonymous said...

Girls....... sick of shopping...!!!!

woooooooooooo!!! headspin.. nevr thought tht was possible....

Congrats on the wedding however...
So.. it was a dare.. huh...

bored blogger said...

wow!!! sick of shopping...!!! welll coincidently i too have got a bit bored of shopping continuously for 4 days in kathmandu so i guess i will take a break for a week or so before i go for my next shopping spree...which i really need since my list still hasnt exhausted! :)
footnote:your description of sarees sounds wonderful!!! i am waiting to see your pics in them. :)

Adicrazy said...

I agree - blogging at times IS a chore. But cant get away with it coz that's the only vent I seem to have recently. Sigh!
Shopping is hevanly! Lucky you, I'll have to wait for next month's salary. Sigh again!
A cute post, and I must say you write well. I'll be haunting ur space regularly now. :)

Keep posting!

MeMyself_n_I said...

@ sumedh - wow u actually dared to read the whole footnote :-p
and i'm one of those girls who absolutely adore shopping, so you can well imagine the amount of shopping that's been going on. and thank you.

@ aarbee - hmm how about u start planting ideas in his head? lol
and yeah, i'm quite surprised too!

@ kaylee - haha thank you.

@ om - thank you. :-)

@ aditya - well lucky you. and yeah, i'll buy his collection of ahort stories.

@ diya - thank you! i'm pretty excited.

@ count sahaj - exactly!! and thank you. and yes it was a dare. :-p

@ bored blogger - haha yeah a week sounds just about right to rekindle my interest in shopping. And the saris are lovelyyyyyyy. :-)

@ adi crazy - i like blogging when i need to rant. so when i'm having a decent-sih time i end up neglecting the poor blog. :-p
And thank you. :-)

MeMyself_n_I said...

*decent-ish. lol

suarrr said...

how random can someone get.. :D ..

Anunay said...

Guess what... I actually maaged to go through the foot note... And, actually most, if not all of it...!! That apart, I am in complete agreement with you here... Blogging does at time seem like a chore...!! I mean I haven't really been able to update the blog these past few months cause I've been travelling!! A lot!! And, quite frequently!!! And, it been fundoo....!!! And, believe you me.... You ain't the first lady to have gotten tired of shopping...!! I have met quite a few others.... Specially some in the family!!